Friday, July 16, 2010

Solar Oven


Solar Ovens

Today was a hot California day. The temperature outdoors reached over 102 degrees Fahrenheit. I have been waiting for some time to build a solar oven instead of using our microwave. Today seemed like a blessed day to do so.

The design is simple-- I placed a smaller box into a slightly larger one. I then placed small pieces of paper into the space in between the two boxes to have an insulation effect. Afterwards I wrapped tinfoil all around the inside of the box and on the flaps as well. The oven is now ready for use.

Outside I placed the oven in the middle of our patio and put a thermometer inside the oven


When the oven has been in the light for about 45 minutes, the thermometer read 170 degrees as shown in the picture above. We decided to cook sliced apples as our first solar cooked dish.

The apples ended up coming out fine, though it could have been cooked a little longer. Overall the oven worked perfectly. I'm not sure why more people don't use solar ovens instead of their microwaves.

~ timothy 14
~ Nathaniel 6

1 comment: